Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Je sais/ Je ne sais pas Part 1: I don't know my family

I hereby formally and publically acknowledge I know nothing about my family members.

All my preconcieved notions and views- are bunk. And I LOVE it.

I feel a really important for a good relationship-be it friends or romantic (or both ;P ) to thrive, both sides need to be able to surprise the other with a new facet of themselves that was not manifest before. Now, we're not talking cheap card tricks or contortion tricks here. I'm talking beliefs, experiences, world views! For this to happen of course, both sides need to be open and accepting of the potential for innovation. You can't be cynical, or judgemental. You always have to accept that the people you love you know better than anyone else, and not at all at the same time.

And Famliy-in the words of Wes Anderson, not a word but a sentance. Family is the easiest group to overlook, to close yourself to. You know who your mom is- you've known her all your life. But what if you suddenly found out she worked at burlesque show before you were born- and she liked it?!!? Or your pop's who you know had an adventurous and exciting youth-ever asked him what compelled him to travel, what he was looking for?

ASK damnit! the answers are your history. And it's always good to remember everyone around you is unique and absolutely amazing.

2 comments:

Petro said...

Holy Crap! Mom worked at a burlesque show? I better start askin asap.

videorose said...

truly! i'm realizing that it's my siblings I know the least about. its like I came home from college and suddenly they were adults who had ideas about things & their own lives. they're smart & entertaining & I love it.