Sunday, April 27, 2008

because I'm shuffling around the apartment, and making dishes like what I am dubbing "egg-luck."

Typically I don't post recipes on here-this is more about my exploration outside the written rules, than my regurgitation of said rules-even if they are rules I've written myself. And this is not a recipe really, just a framework and suggestions.

Egg-luck is basically an egg casserole, based on stale bread, leftover meal bits from the week, and cheese. It's as versatile as it sounds, and while you could assemble the ingredients and make it-the point when I created it was to use up stuff in the fridge. I've never made this the same way twice, but the base is always the same.

I cube stale bread and soak it in eggs and milk. Soak for a bit, esp if the crust is really hard. I only ever buy baguettes or dinner rolls, so the crust is always hard. Then, mix in whatever you want! Today I used a half a yellow tomato, capers, yoghurt, tomato paste, tomatillo salsa, chimichurri rub mix and garlic green beans. In the past there's been ham bits (though I think it was too strong), sun-dried tomatoes, sausage, spinach... I'd like to try rice or pasta too. toss the dish in a 350-400 degree over- till it's mostly cooked. Then top with cheese-whatever you have! Today it was a hard rosemary something, cheddar, and Gouda.

And that's it! I make this on Sun, to use up stuff, and to have a ready-to-heat breakfast or late night meal through the week. Someday, I'll remember to spray the dish before cooking- so I don't have to soak'n'scrub.

Here's a pic of this weeks-I dusted with paprika for aesthetics:






And cut:






So have at it folks: What else can you put in? What have you tried? What's your leftover-user-upper dish?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I usually use up stuff in pasta. But this is a great idea. Eggs are my favorite. As you know, you can put an egg on a pizza and I'll eat it!