Friday, January 4, 2008

I'm full and feel greasy

So- all fired up to use my new cookbook, I came home, ready to make something creamy and decadent with chicken and butter. I got MOST of the way there... achievement though- I made a three-way meal with only stuff already in my kitchen (ta-da!)

I started with Julia's recipe for supremes de volaille a brun (chicken breasts sauteed in butter). a few things off the bat I wasn't going to do:

1. use clarified butter. Sure it's got a higher burn point but I also wasn't
2. using four whole chicken breasts. I had "medallions."
3. use port for the sauce- red wine will do just fine thank you.
4. serve this with a veggie covered in butter (see note below)

So we start with the chicken- easy prep, just salt and pepper and dredge. Easy, just lots of dishes. The aforementioned chicken gets sauteed gently in what Julia calls 1/16 an inch of butter.

I used 2/3 a stick.

whatever- my kitchen smelled AMAZING.

The coating on the chicken was nice and even, and the butter saute really brings out how damned sweet chicken is (iron chef dessert idea). I would feel a little queasy had I gone with Julia's suggestion of buttered any-kind-of-veggie as an accompaniment, but the quinoa with cheese was a good nutty contrast. Plus it-like the plain green beans-soaked up the excess sauce.

The sauce- well... the sauce was...difficult. I'm not sure if it got too hot or it was the bit of olive oil I put in bc I didn't have clarified butter to saute off the breast initially. But the damned thing would not emulsify. It's delicious-the scallions and red wine add just enough vinegar to offset the sweet chicken and the 2/3 A STICK OF BUTTER they were sauteed in (so good. but it is ugly- chunky deep brown with a golden pool of fat.

So how do you keep sauces emulsified- and can you fix them when they go south- the hunt is on!

No comments: