Monday, January 28, 2008

Cake rocks my world

Lessons we have learned:

1. Yes the grater attachment of the kitchenaid can grate chocolate, but be warned it produces a dust-like pile which melts when you try to adhere it to sides of a cake



2. Buttercream icing is far too easy to make, and may negatively effect my low cholesterol levels

3. Powdered sugar makes two of my favorite desserts.

4. Decorate cakes on low surfaces.

5. Mom's trick to hold saran off cakes with toothpick spikes is still the best!


Tonight we made a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing.

Wow-you say-ambitious for a Monday night!

Honestly all pretty easy, AND my house smelled like chocolate, so all in all not a bad endeavor. I'll not get to taste the cake, so I'll have to trust the judgements of my coworkers. I tried to work a bit on my presentation with this one. I kind of like that it looks like one of the cakes in my mom's old Good Housekeeping cookbooks, that it's tilted a bit and the lattice is well-meaning but shakey.

Alora- if it survives the ride in tomorrow- Happy Belated Birthday Todd!

No comments: