Monday, February 18, 2008

poll results, why a $28 spatula is worth it and how to transport a cake


No, icing between the layers isn't needed. Oh and toffee in the cake increases the cooking time and the moistness of the cake (butter you fiend). Also, though I have no pics, this cake looked GREAT cut- I went with a three-layer, ganache between the layers, and the very dark chocolate against the very golden cake looked great and tasted- well oversweet to me- but everyone else really enjoyed it.

So, I thought I'd also share my process for getting the cake to work, bc with riding the metro, that's a new challenge. Basically, I need to create a cage that is easy for me to carry, but also roomy enough to contain the cake.

The first step is the wrapping of said cake, as mentioned earlier and thank you mom, using toothpicks to hold the saran off the icing:


Then you scour your closets for a box big enough to fit the cake, and a bag big enough to fit the box you hopefully found:


Next, try to not turn into an overprotective stress monster on public transportation when anyone gets close to tapping the box...and LAST, remember to not let the box be thrown out after the mid-afternoon sugar rush in the office.

This was a lovely and delicious cake, but I think in the future I'd like to try a less dense rich cake, bc this was still a heavy package. Worth it-but damn...

No comments: